Friday, September 17, 2010


Floyd should have a memorial-something at the very least. I thought for a while that he should have a highway marker, but the DOT won’t place a marker in a cemetery with a single noteworthy grave (I’m certain every person in that graveyard was noteworthy somehow to someone, but try telling that to the sign people) and they won’t place a marker on a road that isn’t part of the numbered state highway system. I may have misread my map, but I’m pretty sure Floyd’s buried on a county road and not a state road. Either way, I wrote them and asked them to consider putting a marker out there by Floyd’s grave.

I’m amenable to putting a bust or a tasteful statue in Sanford where he died or in Chapel Hill where he lived most of his life, but that would still leave his grave out there naked. It’d be all right with me if we could figure out how to do both.
Fuller's got a plaque that says, "Buried nearby."  Of course they paved over half that cemetery too...

Ideally, someone somewhere inherited the records from the church and those records include a map of the plots sold out in the cemetery. If I could find that map, I could find Floyd and we could just buy the man a dignified set of stones and set them out there at his head and feet.

I can’t believe that Pete Lowry and Bruce Bastin didn’t find the information if it was there to find and I can’t figure out how to get a hold of either one of them – hell, Pete Lowry might be dead for all I know (he’s not, he lives in Australia now) – so I reckon I’ve started going over ground others have already covered…

No comments:

Post a Comment